ApSAF Mentor-Protégé Program
Memorandum of Understanding
The goal of this program is to recruit and retain as SAF members, students and early career professional foresters. The focus of this plan is on SAF student members and on young professional foresters who were/are SAF student members.
As a Mentor, I agree to do the following:
- Meet informally/by email with the student to discuss topics related to the profession such as SAF, jobs, professional ethics, continuing education, etc.
- Invite the student to spend a day on the job with me, if feasible.
- Invite the student to professional meetings sponsored by SAF, ACF, NWOA, Tree Farm, etc.
- Attend a student chapter meeting and work with the student chapter advisor in support of the student chapter.
- Present a program for the student chapter if asked to do so.
- Work with the student for up to two years (Junior and Senior years in a four-year curriculum) and for two additional years after the student graduates.
- Pay half of the post graduate’s SAF dues prior to full forestry employment, if requested to do so by the post graduate.
- If the post graduate drops out of SAF, send the last known contact information to the ApSAF Membership Chair.
As a Protégé, I agree to the following:
Regularly attend SAF student chapter meetings.
- Become acquainted with SAF at the local, regional and national levels.
- Respond positively to invitations from the mentor to attend professional activities as scheduling permits.
- Supply up to date contact information to my Mentor to facilitate communication for at least two years after graduation.
- Attend at least one state, regional or national SAF meeting each year.
- Work to recruit other students to become members of a student chapter.